Literary submissions should be attached as a MS Word document and art submissions should be attached as JPEGs. Submissions should be in 12-pt. Times New Roman font, should use complete tab indentations, and should have single spaces between sentences. Fiction and nonfiction should be double-spaced. Additionally, the filename should be the same as the title of the piece(s).
In your cover letter, please provide a short bio including your full name, major, projected year of graduation, and the college/university where you are currently enrolled.
- Art submissions should be shot against a blank surface of a neutral color.
- Submissions should be shot from a directly frontal angle, with appropriate orientation.
- Images should be well lit with no shadows or dark corners (note: the flash on a camera will not be sufficient).
- Please do not leave any visible thumbtacks or other mounting materials.
- Only shoot one painting or image per submission.
- Mangrove will accept a maximum of three artwork submissions at a time.
Book reviews and criticism relevant to the University of Miami (for instance on books written by UM alumni) are encouraged, though not required.
Book reviews and criticism should be written on recent publications.
Travel writing should include a narrative voice, or an otherwise creative angle.
Interviewees should be affiliated with the arts—writing, film, art, etc.—and interviews should have a coherent, captivating purpose. Again, interviews relevant to the University of Miami are encouraged.
Mangrove considers excerpts from book-length nonfiction provided they are self-contained.